Well, before you say I am making a spelling mistake here then let me clarify that ‘Humanism’ and ‘Humanitism’ are two different things. The former refers to the belief that people can achieve happiness and live well without religion while believing in the dignity of mankind. The term has its own connotations and glorious past plus you can also find the word in English dictionary. But this article is all about ‘humanitism’ that asks all of us to behave as humanely as possible. No, the word doesn’t exist in dictionary but it has close resemblance to what we call “HUMANITY” in real sence.
When internet jargons are common and come to use frequently without their existence in dictionary then coining the terms HUMANITISM & HUMANITIST is not a big deal. But only if you delve deep into it, you will realize why it’s perfect for global equity, peace and development. It envisages world as a family and every problem concerning, humans and living being as the subject to ponder over. It generalizes the belief that championing for all causes is important.
For example; finding solution to influx of migrants in Europe is as important as the Greek Debt Crisis or even Russia’s undue influence over Ukraine. Similarly, USA’s foreign funding to Pakistan for no solid reason is also an important issue. Destruction of marine life inside the Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, genital mutilation of women in Africa and need for Press freedom and freedom of speech are also need to be unequivocally fought upon if needed. A humanitist relates to each issue and looks forward to a meaningful solution to each of them.
This article is an attempt to understand what humanitism is all about and how you can be a humanitist. It has nothing to do with any ideology or any belief. It supports what’s best for the planet earth as a whole. In fact, it also sees humans, animals, birds, marine life and insects as the necessary components for a happy and peaceful living planet. You might say insects are obnoxious beings which spread diseases but that doesn’t mean we should have inherent hatred towards them. We should keep our surrounding clean to stay safe and disease free.
Doesn’t butterfly look too cute? Isn’t a grasshopper unique creature? Aren’t ants inspiring? Have you ever thought how spider weave its web? So, insects have their own beauty and relevance for ecosystem. We didn’t bring them here nor can we take out them from this environment. So our efforts should be towards pragmatism, that is to promote cleanliness as many places as we can.
Principles of Humanitism
Enough with ideologies, hidden meanings therein, confusion and misinterpretation. Let it be declared once and for all. Be a humanitist – the only way towards ensuring global peace and societal equality everywhere – though sounds impractical but it can be at least conceived inside our minds.
1) No Privilege for Anything or Anyone: Basic notion of humanitism involves understanding the problems that the world faces today relating to anything and everyone, hence it doesn’t give any special privilege to any particular community or thing. If someone is in problem then it must require attention and humanitism asks you to lend your helping hands towards it.
2) Gender Equality In Exact Sense: In case of male chauvinism it is biased in all respects, but you can’t ignore the misinterpretation of feminism as well. Though it advocates for equal rights for sexes which is welcome in all respects but the concept itself hardly focuses on other aspects of the society. Rarely, we observe a lot of feminists or social workers cry for the men killed in armed forces. Similarly, their support to Lesbian, Gay, Transgender and Bisexuals (LGBT) also mostly remain inhibited. Humanitists work for all, respect all. It supports if a transgender is discriminated in a society, if a man is attacked by goons, if a woman faces atrocities anywhere or when a bisexual is viewed with suspicion in a society. It supports gay marriage as well. Such is the wide sphere of humanitism.
3) Environment or Development: Most governments don’t gauge how much development it needs. But a humanitist government strikes the chord well. It balances how much development is justified for its citizens while encouraging environmental protection as well. For 1 tree cut a humanitist can actually ensure 10 trees are planted and so on. There is no need to amass wealth because real wealth is the intellectual development of citizens and not mere mushrooming of shopping malls and complexes at the cost of destroying the natural habitat of our birds and wildlife. Development to the limit of country’s need is optimum. Conservation of water, marine life, flora and fauna comes under the same bracket to preserve the land’s biodiversity intact.
4) Individual Liberty and Complete Freedom: A humanitist believes in complete freedom of an individual and his or her thoughts. Providing him or her with full individual liberty by birth is of utmost importance for the complete development of an unbiased heart and mind. In some countries, women battalions are not sent for war during external aggression, but humanitist believes in complete gender equality and individual liberty. If a woman solider wishes to fight for her country while raising arm against enemy nation then she must deserve so.
5) Secularism: For a humanitist all religions are same and every person should be treated with utmost respect and equality. There is no ground for discrimination under any manner in whatsoever in Humanitism. Moreover, religion is your personal belief and faith. Let it be remain so.
Why Being a Humanitist opens up your Mental horizon?
Anybody can be a humanitist. It doesn’t require any qualification or predetermined ideals to be so. The day you start feeling world is a small living planet and god has given only life for every one of us to live you will start believing in it. It neither criticizes other ideology or ideas nor ask you to do so. It just keeps reminding you that every life is important and everyone deserves equal opportunity to flourish and succeed. The theory is globalized in nature. It transcends beyond the realm of nation’s borders and boundaries created by nations to widen the gap of humane understanding of each other.
An earthquake happening in Japan will shatter the heart of a humanitist living far away in Miami and vice versa. Also a humanitist can’t agree for a war be it the proxy ones which were widely practiced during cold war or the real ones like 1st world war and Second world war. It also criticizes and condemns terrorism in harshest term possible. Similarly, a Humanitist reviles both Japan’s attack on USA’s Pearl Harbor Naval base and the USA’s subsequent devastation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki through Atom Bomb. In a nutshell, Humanitism discourages violence in all forms.